A lot of village activity in Five Ash Down is centred around the village hall. The hall was built in 1877 and was then known as Five Ash Down Mission Hall. After major fundraising efforts within the village and surrounding neighbourhood as well as grants from Wealden District Council and Buxted Parish Council, major refurbishment was carried out in 1996.
The Hall, which measures approximately 30 feet by 20 feet, seats 50 and is ideal for meetings and for birthday parties for children aged ten and under. There is a modem kitchen and facilities for the disabled. Groups using the Hall cover a range of interests:
- Pop In – Tuesday mornings – an opportunity for anyone in the village to meet and get to know other members of the community. “Pop In” to the Hall between 1 10.00am and 1 11.00am and you will be made very welcome.
- Dance classes – Tuesday evenings.
- Five Ash Down Line Dancing – Wednesday afternoons.
- Yoga classes – Thursday evenings.
- Wealden Model Aircraft Club – Tuesday evenings (monthly).
- Uckfield Theatre Guild – Monday and Wednesday evenings (a. block of sessions in preparation for a show).
- Table Tennis Team – matches.
The Five Ash Down Village Hall is a Trust Charity managed under the rules of the Charity Commissioners (Registered Charity no. 207068) by a Village Hall Management Committee. Buxted Parish Council is the Custodian Trustee. At the Annual General Meeting, which is open to all villagers over the age of 18, two villagers are elected to the Committee. Two Representatives are appointed by Buxted Parish Council and the rest of the Committee is made up of Representatives from each organisation that regularly uses the Hall.
Contact the Hall Secretary on 01825 733367 if you would like further details about the groups using the Hall or if you would like to visit the Hall to see the facilities yourself. Current hire charges are £13.00 for one session, or £8.00 per session for block bookings of four or more sessions.