- Next Step is the name given to Buxted Youth Council.
- Next Step is open to all young people living within the Parish of Buxted, this includes the villages of High Hurstwood, Buxted and Five Ash Down and all the hamlets and dwellings in between. The objective of the group is to:
- give a voice to young people in the Parish
- advise Buxted Parish Council and other bodies on matters related to young people in the villages.
- campaign for better facilities and activities for young people in the Parish.
- to make improvements to health and safety for young people.
- apply for funding for young people projects.
- to encourage better transport infrastructure for young people in rural areas.
- Next Step has the power to raise funds and receive contributions and has the power to spend these funds, in agreement with the Parish Council, in order to meet its objectives. Next Step may engage in any other lawful activity to pursue the group’s objectives.
- Any young person under 21 years of age and resident in the Parish may be a member of Next Step. A membership list will be kept by the secretary. There are no membership fees. There will be a least nine meetings per year.
- A Chairperson will be appointed at the beginning of each meeting by consensus. A treasurer will be elected by members once the group is in receipt of its first funds. A secretary will be appointed at the end of each meeting for the next meeting. A webmaster will build and update the webpage on the Parish website.
- A quorum of three will be required for a meeting to be held. Decisions will be made by a majority of those present at meetings, with the chairperson having a casting vote. The secretary will record minutes of meetings and distribute these to members and the Parish Council.
- The Youth Council will submit a short annual report to the Parish Council at the time of the Parish AGM.
- Funds will be kept in a separate bank account. The Parish Council will pay out of pocket expenses to members of Next Step. The Parish Council will pay attendance allowances to Next Step members in accordance with the criteria specified by the Parish Council. (Appendix 1).
- Any recommendation to the Parish Council for alteration to these rules can be made by a two thirds majority of the members attending a special meeting for that purpose.
10. Should the group cease operating all funds and assets will become the property of Buxted Parish Council.
Adopted April 2007
Members will be eligible for an attendance allowance once they have been present at two meetings and have attended at least half of the possible meetings in a six month period. The attendance allowance will be £5.00 per meeting.