The Met Office has issued an Amber Weather Warning for wind on the 26th and 27th December. View the full warning at the Met Office Severe Weather Warning page. If you prefer you can search for the Met Office website and look there.
Very strong south westerly winds are expected for parts of South and Southeast England and South Wales on Sunday morning. Inland gusts of 50-60 mph are likely with a few spots likely to see 60-70 mph for a time. Hills and particularly coasts exposed to the south-westerly winds will see a few gusts of 70-80 mph. In addition to the strong winds, a period of heavy, squally rain is expected and may prove an additional hazard.
What to expect
- Longer journey times and cancellations likely, as road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected.
- Some roads and bridges likely to close.
- Probably some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs.
- Flying debris is likely and could lead to Injuries or danger to life.
- Injuries and danger to life is likely from large waves and beach material being thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and properties.
- There is a good chance that power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage.
For more information: