News and appeals
New report says Sussex Police has made significant improvements to the way it responds to stalking and harassment
Sussex Police has made significant improvements to the way it responds to stalking and harassment, according to a report published on 10th April. Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary Fire and Rescue (HMICFRS) carried out an inspection at the end of last year, commissioned by Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne.
Assistant Chief Constable Nick May said: “The report acknowledges that we have significantly improved our understanding of what stalking and harassment is, and what our response should be. It also sets out where there is even more work to do and we accept this.
“Stalking and harassment has a long-term and debilitating effect on victims and we will continue to make improvements to ensure people are safe and can feel safe, and bringing perpetrators to justice.”
The report acknowledges progress by Sussex Police to date including:
- more victims feeling confident to come forward, with stalking reports having risen by 540% in three years.
- increased awareness amongst officers and staff, including call handlers, those joining our investigations teams and all new recruits, on how to spot signs of stalking.
- specialists on hand offering advice and support on a daily basis, and a better understanding and a more joined up approach with training for the CPS and local statutory and voluntary partners.
- a comprehensive policy for supporting victims and support of independent stalking advocacy caseworkers from Veritas Justice, funded by the OSPCC, to work with people affected by stalking.
- an improvement plan that is under constant review, with us reinforcing national protocol and guidance Two arrested in connection with Crowborough assault
Police have arrested two men after a man suffered serious injuries in a Crowborough assault.
Two men were sat in a parked car in High Street around 1.20am on Saturday (April 6) when they were approached by another group of men.
The victim stepped out of the car and was seriously assaulted by the group. He was taken to Pembury Hospital where he remains in a serious but stable condition.
One suspect was described as white, of slim build, in his early 20s and with short blonde hair.
Two of the suspects has short black hair, with one having a black eye.
Chief Inspector Anita Turner said: “The victim has been left, understandably, extremely shaken by what has happened and we are appealing to members of the public to aid our investigation.
“Due to the quick phone call from a member of the public to us, we were able to swiftly deploy officers to the scene who arrived a short time later.
“An area search was conducted by officers and two people were arrested in connection with the matter.
“However we believe there are suspects still outstanding and we would still like to speak to anyone who witnessed the assault or noticed a group of men acting suspiciously in this area at this time. Did you?
“If so we would like to hear from you as soon as possible.”
Two 23-year-old men from Crowborough were both arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm wit intent. The pair remain in custody and the investigation is ongoing.
If you have any information on the assault please report information online or by calling 101 quoting 94 of 06/04.
Kent Police charge a man for Groombridge attempted robbery
Kent Police officers have charged a man with an attempted robbery in Groombridge.
Seamus Dyson was arrested on suspicion of the offence on the morning of 4 April and the 19-year-old, of Peall Road in Croydon was charged.
The attempted robbery happened at the post office in Station Road, Groombridge on 2 April.
Kent officers had also been investigating a robbery in Meopham, Kent and charged Dyson charged a man and arrested a second on suspicion of the same offence.
The incident is reported to have happened at a newsagent in Neville Place at around 4.30pm on Tuesday 2 April 2019. A quantity of cash was taken.
Dyson was remanded in custody to appear at Medway Magistrates Court on Friday 5 April. At the hearing, he was further remanded in custody and will next appear at Maidstone Crown Court on Friday 3 May.
A 19-year-old man from Brighton has also been arrested on suspicion of both offences. He remains in custody as enquiries continue.
A burglary occurred on Hartfield Road, Forest Row, in which an outbuilding was broken into and garden machinery was stolen from within (Ref: 47190055723)
A burglary occurred on Baxters Lane, Haywards Heath in which a shed was broken into using a tool similar to a crowbar, no known items were stolen from the property (Ref: 47190054183)
A burglary occurred on Tanyard Lane, Haywards Heath, in which a garage was broken into, whereby the window was smashed and garden equipment was stolen (Ref: 47190055734)
Two burglaries occurred on Buckhurst Lane, Wadhurst, in which a brick was used to smash glass and gain entry to both properties. A rucksack was stolen from one property, and there is no information at this time on any stolen property from the other premises. (Ref: 47190055970 / 47190056020)
Help us keep Sussex safe
If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.
Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org