DRAFT Parish Council Minutes 12 February 2019

Minutes of the meeting of the Council held in Five Ash Down Village Hall on Tuesday 12th February 2019 at 7.30p.m.



Cllrs. Blandford (Chairman), Bolton, Hoggan, Humphrey, Illingworth (WDC), Johnson, McQuarrie, Marshall, Moss, Roberts, Rose and Wells.

Also present: ESCC Cllr. Galley and Clerks Beccy Macklen and Claudine Feltham.




A local business owner addressed the parish council regarding parking issues in Buxted village. He advised that four parking spaces will be available to the business to rent at the church car park soon. He would like to open dialogue with anyone within the village that could have other spaces available to rent. The chairman advised that as this is not on the agenda this matter could not be discussed at this evening’s meeting, however councillors would discuss this between this and the next meeting.


In answer to a question, it was clarified that there are 17 members of staff at the business and that there is currently no space to the rear of the premises due to insurance damaged vehicles that require repair, even though the planning permission specified that staff parking would be provided. It was requested if off site premises could be sought to store the insurance vehicles to free up some space to the rear of the property. It was also suggested that local house owners might be willing to rent out their driveways daily.




Apologies received and accepted from Cllr Cox





All councillors declared a personal interest in any matters relating to the Ionides Trust/Buxted Community Hall by virtue of the parish council being managing agents of the site.


Cllr. Rose declared a prejudicial interest in any matters relating to the land west of Church Road (Taylor Wimpey site) due to having owned part of the application site and a personal interest in the Ionides Surgery/Hall site due to having a business opposite the land.


Cllrs. Rose and Illingworth declared a personal interest in matters relating to the new community hall by virtue of being parish council representatives on the BCHT


Cllr. Rose declared a personal interest in any matters relating to Crusader Vehicles by virtue of owning a business adjacent to the site.


Cllr. Wells declared a personal interest in any matters relating to the allotments by virtue of being an allotment holder


Cllr. Moss declared a personal interest in matters relating to Speed Watch by virtue of being part of the Speed Watch initiative.




The minutes of the meeting held on 8th January 2019 were signed by the Chairman as a correct record of the meeting.





Cllr. Galley reported on a meeting he had attended with the Police and residents in the parishes he covers. He raised the current parking situation in Buxted and was again advised that parking issues are not a priority despite a rise in the council tax and the promised employment of new officers. However, Inspector Gross advised that if police are out and about or passing through, they would and have issued tickets if illegal parking is taking place.


He also advised that WDC would be meeting the following week to agree the corporate plan and budget. Waste is still high on the agenda and apparently there has been some BBC coverage today regarding missed bins. Kier performance is currently on track and we are all looking forward to Biffa taking over the contract in July.


Cllr Illingworth commented on a nasty accident at the weekend on the A272 between Court Lane and London Road, when a tree fell on a car trapping the occupants inside. Along that stretch of road, the banks are eroding, and tree roots exposed. He requests that someone from highways inspect the bank to ensure trees are safe. Cllr Galley would report to Highways.


The new crematorium in Horam will be open within the next month. Open days will be taking place at the beginning of March.





Public footpaths: Nothing to report.


Trees: Nothing to report.


Road Safety: Nothing to report.


Ionides Trust: Ionides Trust meeting to follow Parish Council meeting (see separate minutes)


New community hall: Outcome of BCHT on 5th February 2019: Sadly, as expected, this was the final AGM and the charity is to be wound up. Two main reasons were stated, the lack of a lease and a total lack of extra support from within the village for the project. There were at least 20 members of the public present including representatives from the Buxted Players, the Football Club, possibly the Scouts and those who championed the survival of the Reading Room.


George Claydon informed the audience that their residual funds would be handed over to a charity with similar aims to theirs as was governed by charity law. The aims of the charity that fulfilled these criteria was the Ionides Trust, but the monies would be’ ring fenced’ to help to build a new village hall. The main questions coming from the audience were centred around what would happen to the funds. It was clear that some members of the audience were apparently aware of another initiative of a different hall on a different site. This initiative had not come from the parish council and nothing had been sanctioned by them whatsoever. It was questioned that ‘had the parish been asked recently whether a new hall was necessary’.


The outgoing committee were thanked for all the for hard work and some members of the audience expressed their gratitude and sadness that the project had not been fulfilled. On behalf of the parish council the parish council chair thanked them for all their hard work and dedication and commented that ‘the value of the planning permission in perpetuity must not be underestimated.


Wealden Local Development Framework: The new Local Plan has been submitted to the Government Inspector for examination.


Property issues:


Allotment Track Update – The clerk advised that a quote has been received from WKP Sealants who carried out the previous work to a very high standard. To repair the remaining part of the track would cost £7,889.48 which hopefully would be split between Network Rail and Southern Water.


Tommy Statue Update – the clerk advised that a meeting will take place at the beginning of March to discuss the permanent positioning of the Tommy statue.


Grass Cutting – Our present contactor, Simon Woodley will not be able to continue to cut most of the grass this coming year as he no longer has suitable equipment, this item will be covered under a similar item in the Ionides Trust meeting


Communications Matters: Website: Nothing to report.





P1 – Consideration of personal statement of P. Coxon regarding a councillor position

A vote was taken proposed by Cllr. McQuarrie and seconded by Cllr. Rose, nine councillors in favour. Peter would be asked to join the parish council at the next parish council meeting.








i)    Payments: On the proposal of Cllr. Rose seconded by Cllr. Roberts, payments totalling £4,422.73 covered by cheque numbers 4261 and 4270 were approved.

Payment Analysis

Summary Receipts & Payments by Budget Heading 12_02_2019

ii)     Bank reconciliations: The clerk had circulated completed reconciliations for January for three accounts which were signed

iii)    Consideration of grant request from Buxted Speed Watch – It was agreed that instead of a grant, there should be an annual budget set of £1,000 (reviewed annually) with the parish council purchasing and then owning any equipment which could also be used for the wider parish should the Speed Watch initiative be expanded to Five Ash Down and High Hurstwood, which should be encouraged.




No other meetings




Cllr Illingworth requested that the parish council re-visit the use of the Section 106 monies allocated for FAD with a view to progressing the project to cut back the overgrown footway between Five Ash Down and Buxted School now that any traffic calming measures have been deemed unsupportable by ESCC Highways. Clerk to reconnect with officers at Highways to discuss progressing this project again.


Cllr. Rose requested that the subject of a mobile phone coverage be put back on the parish council agenda as coverage in Buxted and Hadlow Down has got significantly worse. It was suggested that existing provider or Ofcom be contacted to establish why coverage has reduced.


Cllr. Marshall advised that the bench in Five Ash Down next to the cross roads is broken. Clerk to confirm if owned by the parish or WDC and arrange repair.


Cllr Moss requested clarification that as part of the platform extension Network Rail removed some trees, would they be required to replace them or ask for permission to do so? Cllr. Illingworth advised that Network Rail are a law unto themselves and they do not need to apply for any planning permission, and there would be no requirement to replace.


Cllr. Bolton – commented on the existing parking issue, and asked if there any scope to park along Queenstock Lane? It was confirmed that that yellow lines on both sides of the road are required for safety reasons. The chairman did comment that someone with land in the village offered the parish council the opportunity to rent this piece of land to create, a car park a few years ago., However, at a cost of £5,000 per space it was agreed that this was too expensive.





The meeting closed at 20.08p.m.





Posted in Featured Stories, Parish Council Minutes