DRAFT Parish Council Minutes 9 October 2018

Minutes of the meeting of the Council held in the Reading Room, Church Road, Buxted on Tuesday 9th October 2018 at 7.30p.m.

 

Present:

Cllrs. Rose (Chairman for this meeting), Cox, Hoggan, Illingworth (WDC), Marshall, Roberts and Wells.

Also present: Clerks Beccy Macklen and Claudine Feltham.

 

Public :

2

 

01/10/18

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies received and accepted from Cllrs Blandford, Humphrey, Johnson, McQuarrie and WDC Cllr. Lunn and ESCC Cllr. Galley

 

02/10/18

DECLARATION OF MEMBERS INTERESTS

 

All councillors declared a personal interest in any matters relating to the Ionides Trust/Buxted Community Hall by virtue of the parish council being managing agents of the site.

 

Cllr. Rose declared a prejudicial interest in any matters relating to the land west of Church Road (Taylor Wimpey site) due to having owned part of the application site and a personal interest in the Ionides Surgery/Hall site due to having a business opposite the land.

 

Cllrs. Rose and Illingworth declared a personal interest in matters relating to the new community hall by virtue of being parish council representatives on the BCHT

 

Cllrs. Cox and Wells declared a personal interest in any matters relating to the allotments by virtue of being an allotment holder

 

Cllrs. Marshall and Illingworth declared a personal interest in matter relating to church grants by virtue of being members of the parochial councils.

 

Cllr. Wells declared a personal interest in matters relating to the grant request for the Horticultural Society due to being the chairman of the group.

 

03/10/18

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 11th September were signed by the Chairman as a correct record of the meeting.

 

04/10/18

WDC REPORT

 

Cllr. Illingworth commented that the representation stage of Local Plan is now closed. The Plan will now be considered by a Government inspector.

 

05/10/18

OUTSTANDING MATTERS

 

Public footpaths: Nothing to report.

 

Trees: Nothing to report.

 

Road Safety:

 

Five Ash Down Traffic Calming: As previously agreed, ESCC carried out three speed surveys in the village of Five Ash Down. In summary, the results were:

 

in summary:

 

Court Lane (near Durlestone): No recorded average speeds over the 30mph speed limit

Five Ash Down, Nr the Chapel: 85% of cars recorded travelled over the 30mph limit

30mph speed sign in centre of village: 85% of cars recorded travelled over the 30mph limit.

 

Therefore, it would appear that cars do not speed along Court Lane, but they do speed along the main road. However, speeding is restricted to between 30 and 40 mph, with only one car travelling at 44mph at 1am.

 

From the evidence above, the parish council would not get support from Highways to make any engineering changes to the village, so if the parish council were minded to install traffic calming measures, they would have to be funded from Section 106 money and obviously approved initially by Highways.

 

Due to the absence of Cllr. Humphrey and a local resident of Five Ash Down, this matter would be referred to the November parish council meeting.

 

Ionides Trust: (parking matters postpone until November meeting). The clerk updated that contact has been made with the BCHT regarding using the existing Section 106 developer contributions to implement the parking element of the planning permission and this will be discussed by the group on 18th October.

 

New community hall: (see minute above)

 

Defibrillators: The Five Ash Down BT Box has now been refurbished by Steve Holmes to a very high standard. Claudine is now arranging the installation of the defibrillator.

 

Wealden Local Development Framework: Following last month’s meeting, the clerk sought clarification from Wealden District Council the use of the words adjacent/near/adjoining with regards the core areas, especially relating to High Hurstwood. The response received clarified that development would only be allowed ‘in’ the core area or on land which touches the purple outline of the core area. If there is a road in between, for example, the High Hurstwood recreation ground is across the road so no development would be allowed on this land.

 

Property issues:

 

Allotment Track Update: The clerk reported that it has been confirmed by the track owner’s solicitor that Network Rail have an agreement to pay 20% of any repair works to the track. This is helpful to know, but for the present time we would continue to pursue the option of Network Rail providing some type 1 at no cost.

 

High Hurstwood Recreation Ground: Further to the comments above regarding the Local Plan, the clerk also commented that Planning Policy Guidance 17 provides protection for recreation grounds and states:

 

“Maintaining an Adequate Supply of Open Space and Sports and Recreational Facilities

10. Existing open space, sports and recreational buildings and land should not be built on unless an assessment has been undertaken which has clearly shown the open space or the buildings and land to be surplus to requirements. For open space, ‘surplus to requirements’ should include consideration of all the functions that open space can perform. Not all open space, sport and recreational land and buildings are of equal merit and some may be available for alternative uses. In the absence of a robust and up-to-date assessment by a local authority, an applicant for planning permission may seek to demonstrate through an independent assessment that the land or buildings are surplus to requirements. Developers will need to consult the local community and demonstrate that their proposals are widely supported by them. Paragraph 15 below applies in respect of any planning applications involving playing fields.”

 

It was also confirmed that the deeds of the field state that the land should only be used for sports or for the renting out for livestock.

 

This information has been relayed to the secretary of the High Hurstwood Village Hall Committee. It will then be the decision of the committee if they wish to continue to pursue extra protection for the recreation ground.

 

Communications Matters: Website: Nothing to report.

 

 

06/10/18

CORRESPONDENCE

No priority correspondence

 

07/10/18

COMMITTEE MEETINGS

 

Reminder that the Finance Committee at which the Budget will be considered has been set for Tuesday 30th October at 7.30pm in the Reading Room.

 

08/10/18

FINANCE

i)    Payments: On the proposal of Cllr. Cox seconded by Cllr. Rose, payments totalling £6,042.72 covered by cheque numbers 4202 and 4216 were approved.

ii)     Bank reconciliations: The clerk had circulated completed reconciliations for September which were signed

iii)    Grant Applications: There was one query regarding the amount provided to the Conservators of Ashdown Forest which was confirmed at £1,000 per annum for two years. Claudine highlighted the following points over d above the regular annual grants:

·         Continued support of Stepping Stones Pre-School

·         Five Ash Down Pop In only requested £100 towards rent costs

·         Buxted Art Club have requested a grant towards extra stand-alone lighting for the stage area

Proposed by Cllr. Illingworth and seconded by Cllr. Roberts resolved to agree all grants.

 

09/10/18

OTHER MEETINGS

Cllrs. Wells and Hoggan attended the Uckfield Railway Line Parishes Committee on 11th September which was very interesting. The Leader of Mid Sussex Council, who is also a representative for Transport for the South East attended and gave an extremely helpful and informative presentation. He advised that the group needs change they way it works to try and achieve its aims which are to get better infrastructure; and a link from Uckfield to Lewes to form BML2. The group could not be faulted for what it has achieved so far through pressure, but it is now time for a change.

 

10/10/18

MEMBERS QUESTIONS

Cllr. Illingworth asked if there had been any progress made on Speed Watch – no update but the clerk would chase.

Cllr. Illingworth – commented that most other parish councils lay wreaths at local churches for Remembrance Day and that it would be appropriate for us to do so. He proposed we have a representative and a wreath in the two churches that will have services. Proposed by Cllr. Illingworth and seconded by Cllr. Wells – approved. Clerk to request a representative and arrange wreaths from the Royal British Legion.

 

Cllr. Hoggan – a new sign has appeared at a business in Buxted – Cllr. Illingworth confirmed that this has planning permission.

 

Cllr. Wells – raised a matter which had been prevalent on social media about parking on double yellow lines in the village. Can we put any pressure on any authority? unfortunately not. The Police are not dealing with parking issues unless life is in immediate danger and no other authority has the power to do so. It was considered appropriate to direct people towards reporting on the Police non-emergency number or operation crackdown.

 

11/10/18

ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

Cllr. Rose met with the electrician who had previously replaced the main Reading Room hall lights in respect of changing the remaining old light over the stage to new LED light (corrosion resistant) at a cost of approximately £140. Proposed by Cllr. Rose and seconded by Cllr. Illingworth, agreed.

 

The meeting closed at 8.57p.m.

 

 

 

Posted in Featured Stories, Parish Council Minutes