DRAFT Parish Council Minutes 13 June 2017

Minutes of the meeting of the Council held in Five Ash Down Village Hall on Tuesday 13th June 2017 at 7.30p.m.

 

Present:

Cllrs. Blandford (Chairman), Cox, Hall, Illingworth, Johnson, Roberts, Rose,

Also present: ESCC Cllr Galley, WDC Cllr Lunn/Illingworth and Clerk Beccy Macklen

 

Public :

1. Mr R. Moore – Raised an issue with regards the lack of road markings at the entrance to Nan Tucks Lane/Limes Lane. Even though this is a derestricted road, it is a potential death trap as the right of way is not down Nan Tucks Lane but Limes Lane. The chairman advised that she and the clerk are meeting with Highways Officers and will mention this point.

 

01/06/16

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies received and accepted from Cllrs McQuarrie, Milner and Skinner and clerk Claudine Feltham.

 

02/06/16

DECLARATION OF MEMBERS INTERESTS

 

Cllr. Blandford declared personal interests in any matters relating to the community hall by virtue of being members of the Hall or Ionides Trusts appointed by the Council.

 

Cllr. Rose declared a prejudicial interest in any matters relating to the land west of Church Road (Taylor Wimpey site) due to having owned part of the application site and a personal interest in the Ionides Surgery/Hall site due to having a business opposite the land.

 

Cllr. Cox and Hall declared a personal interested in any matters relating to allotments due to being  allotment holders.

 

03/06/16

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The minutes of the meeting held on 9th May 2017 were signed by the Chairman as a correct record of the meeting.

 

04/06/16

ESCC/WDC REPORT

Councillor Galley advised that ESCC is in limbo for the time being due to elections both at county and national level. A Cabinet meeting had taken place the previous week at which he presented a report on key stage four children. A scrutiny committee also met at which further improvements to broadband were discussed.

 

Highways Issues – On 3rd July, Cllr. Galley together with the Highways Road Safety Engineer will be meeting in Buxted with the clerk and a representative of the Beechbrook Park Residents Association to discuss pedestrian safety in the centre of Buxted with the main concern being crossing the A272 to access the surgery/play area. Current advice is not overly positive, but councillor Galley hopes a solution can be found.

 

The chairman, clerk and councillor Galley will be meeting with Highways Officers in July to discuss general issues with Highways which was triggered by the road closure last week through Hadlow Down. Cllr. Lunn suggested that Hadlow Down have some input as they have raised similar issues. Clerks to liaise on this matter.

 

Coopers Green traffic lights verge cutting – has been cut for the second time after it was decided that this verge would be left to grow wildflowers. Apparently, it first needs to be designated as a wildflower meadow before it can get into the system to stop the cuts. Another matter to discuss when the parish council meeting with Highways.

 

Cllr Lunn apologised for missing the Annual Assembly but any issues raised can be referred to him. Elections have taken up most members time recently with no WDC planning committees. There are still a lot of applications in the system and at the same time WDC councillors are awaiting conclusive evidence for the local plan to produce a full plan for consultation. No timeframe given yet.

 

05/06/16

OUTSTANDING MATTERS

 

Public footpaths: Nothing to report.

 

Trees: Nothing to report.

 

Road Safety:

 

Update on Traffic Regulation Order for Buxted:

The clerk confirmed that the Traffic Regulation Order was considered by the ESCC Planning Committee on 31st May 2017 with the following decisions:

 

1. The double yellow lines around the Littlewood Lane/A272 junction and the Gordon Road/A272 junction would go ahead as advertised.

2. The double yellow lines proposed opposite the farm access in Framfield Road and the double yellow lines and bus stop clearway in Gordon Road would NOT go ahead

3. The double yellow lines on the west side of Church Road would go ahead and the lines on the east side would be re-advertised as soon as possible as they were left off the original advert on street in error.

4. We will meet with residents and the parish council again later to discuss the possibility of introducing a bus stop clearway by notice in Gordon Road.

5. Queenstock Lane yellow lines will go ahead as advertised

 

The clerk has been advised that the lines will be implemented as soon as practicably possible and have now been ordered through the contractors.

 

Update on potential use of Section 106 monies for traffic calming/highway improvements:

Following the initial meeting with Mark Weston of ESCC the clerk has been advised that estimates have been received and there would be sufficient funds to improve the section of footway between Coopers Green and Buxted School. There would also be enough to improve another section as well. However, the extent of this extra work further on from the school cannot be accurately predicted until the first section is complete as there are often unforeseen circumstances that crop up during construction. Final confirmation of costs is awaited in order than WDC can be requested to release the funds to implement the works.

 

Ionides New Play Equipment – Transfer of Management of land to PC: Simon Johnson asked the legal standing of individual councillors if the parish council becomes the trustee of the land? The chairman advised that following some research and asking other parish councils, more work is required and solicitors need to provide advice, in addition to the charities commission agreeing to the transfer of management.

 

New community hall: Dialogue continues, albeit slowly. The Scout Association have requested a Deed of Transfer (to be carried out by the Ionides Solicitor) and a S.119 report which is a survey of land under question and a new area of land to replace that which has been surrendered. However, nothing can proceed until the Scouts have agreed the area of land to be exchanged. The Ionides Trust put forward an area of land in March 2017 which was of equal value and area but are awaiting a decision from the local Scout Group as to whether this is acceptable. The local group have now appointed a solicitor and the Ionides Trust hopes a meeting will take place in a couple of weeks’ time to agree any outstanding issues and move forward to being able to agree the lease of the new village hall with the Buxted Community Hall Trust so they can begin their groundworks before planning permission expires. All the above costs are being born by the Ionides Trust.

 

Defibrillators – Formal Adoption of Telephone Kiosks at High Hurstwood and Five Ash Down: The clerk advised that formal adoption of the telephone kiosks has now been confirmed. The parish council will now wait for the equipment to be removed for refurbishment and installation of the defibrillators to take place.

 

Wealden Local Development Framework – Local Plan: Nothing to report.

 

Property issues:

 

Quote for cleaning/works to Reading Room: (the clerk had not circulated this document to all members – discuss next month)

 

The chairman and clerk had met with Steve Holmes at the Reading Room to discuss cleaning/renovation works. A full quote was received and circulated to all members of the parish council which included replacing the rotting roof cowl; redecoration of outside woodwork; repainting of radiators etc, with each aspect being individually priced. Members worked through the quote and resolved to appoint Mr Holmes to carry out all the works listed apart from the decoration to the woodwork outside. The clerk would also request that the works to repair the cowl on the roof are carried out at the earliest opportunity as daylight can now been seen through the roof. (and to deter any bats)

 

Update on Planning Application for Reading Room: All surveys have now been received and the application finalised. An application will be submitted to WDC this week.

 

Communications Matters: Website: Following the recent issues with fireworks in Buxted village on Saturday evening, the clerk would encourage parishioners to advise the parish council if any upcoming events and use social media to advise as many people as possible.

 

06/06/16

CORRESPONDENCE

P1 ESCC – Hotspots for potential on street parking enforcement: WDC and ESCC have advised that both authorities are working together to enable the introduction and management of Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE). We have therefore been asked to provide parking ‘hot spots’ where parking regulations are being regularly ignored. In the case of the parish of Buxted, traffic regulations are not regularly being ignored in so far as parking on double yellow lines is not a regular occurrence – however it is recognised that parking isn’t always safe.  It must be noted though that there is a large commuter parking contingency in Buxted and the parish council are more than aware that some residents would like parking permits in Framfield Road, Church Road, Beechbrook Park. The parish council will also monitor the effectiveness and compliance with the new yellow lines when they are in place.

 

P2 Five Ash Down Village Hall Committee – Request for grant for annual hall insurance: Agreed and a cheque raised at this evening’s meeting.

 

P3 East Sussex Highways – Response to email and offer to meet with the PC: The chairman and clerk have agreed to meet with ESCC representative to discuss issues with Highways.

 

P4 High Hurstwood Village Hall Committee – Request for parish council to implement verge improvements:

 

Although the parish council recognise that the works are not within the remit of the High Hurstwood Village Hall Committee charity rules it is not willing to take on the responsibility of the improvement to the verge as it does not wish to set a precedent of maintaining highway verges, where the maintenance problem is caused by parking issues. Given this issue has arisen due to customer parking at The Hurstwood, it is suggested that the pub be responsible for the licence and works. The clerk will inform the HHVHC accordingly.

 

07/06/16

COMMITTEE MEETINGS

None

 

08/06/16

FINANCE

i)    Payments: On the proposal of Cllr. Rose seconded by Cllr. Illingworth, payments totalling £18,763.21 covered by cheque numbers 3933 and 3954 were approved. Large payments this month include £3550.00 payment for two defibrillators, Annual Parish Council insurance of £3,155.10; and top soil and turfing of play area of Buxted Recreation Ground of £1,320.00 (This latter coast will be paid for through the Section 106 funds given to the Ionides Trust for new play equipment as it directly relates to the installation of equipment)

Payment list for 13th June Parish Council Meeting

ii)     Bank reconciliations: The clerk had circulated completed a reconciliation for April 2017 which were signed

 

09/06/16

OTHER MEETINGS

None

 

10/06/16

MEMBERS QUESTIONS

 

Cllr Illingworth requested that all paperwork for meetings be resent to members on the day of the meeting in addition to the normal correspondence and payments lists.

 

11/06/16

ANNOUNCEMENTS

The chairman advised that Dermot Mulvagh has resigned from the parish council as he is unable to commit to parish council meetings.

 

Cllr. Cox is taking a three-month sabbatical but will be back after the summer break.

 

Ms Ings has now retired from looking after the flower maintenance at the station – the parish council will write and thank her for her years of hard work. Someone has offered to take over this job, and the parish council have agreed that if Network Rail do not fund the flowers that the parish council would be amenable to help with the funding.

 

The meeting closed at 8.30p.m.

 

Posted in Parish Council Minutes